As a local, I might be a bit biased, but I think Como Park Zoo and Conservatory showcase some of the most exquisite landscapes, botanicals, and architecture in the country. I feel pretty lucky to be able to not only visit the park regularly but photograph couples amid the diverse backdrops. Each season boasts new colors and new lighting. If I didn’t tell you, you’d probably never know this collection of photos came from the same location. From sunset engagement photos by the lake to cherry blossom bridals, you get to pick the scene at Como Park!
Here are a few unique aspects about Como Park, plus my top five reasons I enjoy photographing at Como:
5 Reasons to Get Engaged or Tie the Knot at Como Park Zoo & Conservatory
The built-in backdrops here are unparalleled. In fact, the entire property boasts over 11 separate spaces, which are also available to rent for wedding ceremonies and receptions. From intimate pergola-covered alcoves to the elegant and sophisticated Sunken Garden, it’s not hard to find a space that reflects your individual style and needs. They’ll even help you pop the question—just reach out to their team to set the perfect stage and offer flowers for your proposal.
Como Park wedding venue spaces include (but are not limited to):
- Berglund Wright Room—this modern event space features a bright skylight and views of the conservatory.
- Bullard Rainforest Auditorium—formal space with panoramic views of the colorful bird exhibit.
- Charlotte Partridge Ordway Japanese Garden—I will never tire of photographing couples under clouds of cherry blossoms.
- Modern Covered “Porch”—it’s more like a veranda with very spacious and elegant with floor-to-ceiling windows and exceptional views.
- Enchanted Garden—just across from the conservatory with full views of the seasonal plants in bloom.
- Excedra—this ceremony location sits atop a hill overlooking the frog pond and lush green lawn.
- Lily Pond—a quiet, peaceful spot off the beaten path.
- North Garden—this is one of my favorites—it’s a private tropical escape!
- Ordway Gardens—these large gardens offer separate indoor and outdoor spaces for a wedding ceremony & reception.
- Polar Bear Lodge—share dinner with the polar bears—through the glass of course. This is great for intimate receptions or even a rehearsal dinner. The cozy room and fireplace are ideal for doing toasts and sharing warm conversation!
- Sunken Garden—features everchanging year-round blooms and beautiful architecture like a greenhouse palace.
2. Stunning Greenery & Florals
Even in the winter, you can find blossoms and greenery in their year-round gardens and walk through movie-worthy winter wonderland scenes of tall pines and snow. Each spring, the place bursts to life with vibrant color and lush green lawns. It’s easy to take great photos in a breathtaking place like Como.
3. Water Features
Water offers a unique aspect to photos since it provides a bit of sparkle, movement, and reflection. Plus, it has a calming effect and adds to the romantic ambiance of your photos and overall experience.
4. Plenty of Space
For some couples, it’s hard to relax and be themselves in front of the camera when they’re surrounded by others. Yet they still want a fun location for the photos. Como Park is perfect because you can spread out and explore without feeling like all eyes are on you. With 384 acres to see, it isn’t too hard to find some privacy.
5. It’s Fun!
The zoo, rows of flowers, fish and frog ponds, and winding trails offer quite a bit to see and do. When you choose a photo location that provides a great experience, your photos will reflect your authentic enjoyment. It’s easy to relax, laugh, and just have fun together while I capture the memories vividly for you.
Andy Hardman Photography, Minnesota Wedding Photographer | Now Booking Engagement Sessions & Weddings for 2022
Andy Hardman is a Twin Cities wedding photographer who is on an endless hunt for inspiration, golden moments, and striking backdrops. His mission is to beautifully capture every detail of your wedding day in photos you’ll cherish for years to come. Learn more about the experience, and book your session here.